Sunday, August 7, 2011

Grammy

I finished up the gift quilt I've been working on (which I'll blog about next week, after it's been given - don't want to ruin the surprise!), I had to start packing for our impending vacation...you know, because I actually had something to pack!

In doing so, I found these: reasons why I'm hoping sewing (or crafting in general) is a genetically passed on trait. My grandmother made this sweater:

Which unfortunately doesn't fit me - sleeves are too short, and the neckline is a bit...um, unattractive, as well as uncomfortable, because it's just a straight line. But Grammy made it, so I'll keep it, of course!

I also have these two afghans:



I don't keep them out right now, as I don't entirely trust my cats not to have a good time with them (read: claw them to bits, as Molly is wont to do)...but they're delightful, I think, nonetheless. :)

Unfortunately, Grammy passed away in 2001, long before I took up quilting or sewing or any such things. She tried to teach me to crochet when I was 7 or 8, but I wasn't interested. She also taught me counted cross-stitch, but that didn't show results fast enough for my pre-teen self.

Do you have crafters in your family who inspired you to get involved with sewing or other such endeavors?

2 comments:

  1. I come from a long line of crafters. It is always fun to look at the things they made. I've never met them and yet feel connected through the art in the objects. I wonder how they would like all of the "new" gadgets.

    That is a beautiful sweater....perhaps you could wear it over a turtle neck or with a scarf to alter the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from crafters. They tried to teach me when younger also. It is something I have had to work at as I got older and more interested. Like anything, the more you practice the better you get, and the more you will surprise yourself... the more their lessons will come back to you.

    ReplyDelete