Saturday, March 12, 2011

Book 9: Confessions of a Tax Collector

I think I've fallen a little behind in my quest to read 52 books this year. It didn't help that I started a few duds. :(

Anyway, this time I read Confessions of a Tax Collector: One Man's Tour of Duty Inside the IRS, by Richard Yancey.

The title pretty much spells out what the book is all about: a guy, adrift in his own life, takes a job as a Revenue Officer with the IRS. A former theater employee with an English degree and a fiance who won't actually commit to him, Yancey takes the job to prove to himself that he can commit to something and see it through. Along the way we learn of the way he changes lives - his own and that of delinquent taxpayers in Florida.

I can't really discuss too much more about the book without giving away how it ends, I suppose, so I'll leave it at that. It was an interesting read; I enjoyed Yancey's writing style as well as the look the book gave me into a world I am only peripherally familiar with.

No comments:

Post a Comment