Friday, December 23, 2011

books 50 and 51 and 52

I've finished a few books since I posted about them last:

#50, Amy and Isabelle: A Novel, by Elizabeth Strout

#51, Her Fearful Symmetry, by Audrey Niffenegger

and #52, Monday Mourning, by Kathy Reichs

It is the third one (and my "you've hit your 52 book goal!" book!) that reminded me why I love reading so much. I literally read that book yesterday. As in, the entire thing (okay, all but 10 pages, which I'd read a few days prior), cover to cover. There were parts I was able to skim - thanks to my husband's pursuit of forensic anthropology/entomology as a career, I'm familiar with things like stable isotope analysis - but my word. What a great book.

The thing I loved about it was the surprises - and not always ones that are super relevant to the main plot lines. Like mentions of places I've been to, and seen. For some reason it made me giggle out loud, even though it was in a not-so-hot context. I also enjoyed reading something and saying to Jeff, "Where's the mandibular condyle?" and having him point to it on his own face without bothering to ask why. Reading is generally a solo activity, but reading the Reichs books makes me feel closer to what Jeff does, or hopes to do, anyway.

So there you have it. 52 books in slightly less than 52 weeks! Somehow I packed them all in with my sewing and our home improving. I think my goal for next year will be about the same - I don't manage to sprint through every book like I did that one, so a book a week is right for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment