Sunday, November 13, 2011

Book #47 - Driving with Dead People

Book #47: Driving with Dead People by Monica Holloway

Holloway's memoir should, by any rights, be somber to the point of making the reader cry - but it isn't. The story of a small town girl who grows up in a broken home,  Holloway finds her own ways to thrive. Her father is physically abusive, her mother in denial, and her and her three siblings are left to deal with it, each in their own way. Monica escapes in school, boys, college, and generally in striving to please. Her one-liners throughout the book are great - one wonders if they're born out of an attempt to cope or out of denial, but I laughed out loud a few times nonetheless. Recommended!

---

Five more to go for the year to reach my goal! I'm sending out a big stack to swap through Paperbackswap.com tomorrow - I haven't read them all, but I have too much going on with all my sewing projects and just trying to de-clutter the house, I don't wan to keep books around that I'm not as interested in reading as I once was!

No comments:

Post a Comment